Tuesday, January 20, 2015

No email this week

It is late Tuesday night, and I'm looking forward to Sunday evening in hopes that we will get to hear from our favorite girl! This isn't the first time we haven't received and email from our missionary, and unfortunately it probably won't be the last. I have been asked by Shawn if I am worried, and honestly I'm not. I know that she is okay, and will email as soon as she is able to email. I really think it has something to do with the weather there in the Philippines, and when conditions are agreeable again we will get our email. In the meantime Sister Maurer, Justine's mission mom (the mission presidents wife) posted something on Facebook along with some pictures that I thought would be nice to add to the blog. It is amazing to love someone you have never met before, I've never met Sister Maurer, but I love her! Not only do I have complete confidence in both her and her sweet husband, but I am continually amazed at how inspired they are when it comes to doing the Lord's work, and watching over His missionaries. I am grateful for the sacrifices they have made to leave their children, and an adorable grandbaby, and live in conditions that I consider to be less than desirable. To serve the Lord and to be part of our daughters growth. Justine has mentioned how much she loves President and Sister Maurer. In fact during her last visit back to Tacloban she emailed me and expressed her feelings of love and admiration for them. She specifically mentioned Sister Maurer, and said how much fun she was!

Like I mentioned before, I believe it is because of the weather that we didn't get our weekly email. I am feeling confident in my assumption considering that the Pope cut his visit to the Philippines short this past week due to the weather conditions, and then after seeing these photos that Sister Maurer took, I think it's safe to blame it on the rain! (If you are now singing and old Milli Vanilli song right now, join in with me because I am too. If you don't get it then you are either too old, or too young ;))

Sister Maurer's post: I haven't shared our most recent experience here in the Philippines. We are now understanding that typhoons and floods (and other disasters like landslides) are just a way of life here. I marvel at the resilience of the people. Not long after Typhoon Ruby we had some of the heaviest rains experienced since we arrived. Much of the surrounding suburbs (barangay's), and other regions, endured serious flooding. President and I spent several days trying to travel to various missionaries and their apartments that were experiencing flooding. Altho' we knew they were safe, we felt the need to ensure their continued safety. It was two days before the roads were clear enough to get to the first area and several days more before we accessed the other areas. Even today, 4 weeks after, there are still bridges out that restrict us from getting round the mission by car without being forced to take longer routes - some that add several hours on to the trip. The bright side is that we are discovering areas of our mission we've never seen before and have enjoyed rainbows that assured us we could do it and sunsets that buoyed us along.

"For the heartbroken, the sad, the down, the depressed...the most beautiful rainbow and sunshine, comes after the worst storm."  -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment